Tuesday, May 21, 2013

It Started As A Good Idea...

I was driving home from the Y and noticed that someone had used a parlor palm in their flower bed.  "I have a parlor palm that's too big for my living room!  I can put it outside!"  And that's how it started.   I took said palm outside and put it in the middle of the window flower bed--it was too big for the space and just didn't quite look right with my other plants.  So back in it went.  When I was inside I noticed a sad looking philodendron that's getting beaten up in the kitchen.  I had it's partner on the front step two years ago and it did really well, until I left it out there well into the fall and the frost got it.  I thought maybe it would work in that front window.  It is mostly shade, but gets some direct sun in the late afternoon.  I put it out there, threw two old pots that I used to have bigger indoor plants in and it looked great!  I had found a way to repurpose some old pots AND I thought my philodendron would get a little more TLC outside than it was in the corner in my kitchen.

The front window bed that I need to fill
Sadly, it was too much sun.  It burned my poor little plant!  So I brought it back inside and it was back to the drawing board for filling the #@$!#@! window bed!
Sun Burn
I read an article that said that impatiens  (what I had planted in the window last year) had suffered some kind of root rot or something and therefore wouldn't be available this year.  Seems I got a little misinformation--they were at Lowe's.  So 3 cartons later and a big bag of potting soil and I had my front window problem solved.
Since I had this big bag of soil, I decided that today was a good day to refresh my indoor plants too.  I took everybody outside and either added a fertilizer stick or totally repotted the plants.  Then I hosed them down and drenched the soil and misted off the leaves to get all that winter dust and dog/cat fur off of them.  I pruned some of them and I split one of the Snake Plants into two pots to make up for the one that I lost a few months ago.  This is my first attempt at dividing plants like this so hopefully I didn't just kill two of my plants.  Everything looks better, I feel good about the refeeding my plants and Vince had more fun that he's had in a long time playing with the hose.  I will admit that Olivia there off to the right in her Excersaucer got quite all of a sudden and I realized she had fallen asleep, face first, on her saucer tray.  Sorry kid!  Mommy's plants come before your sleeping comfort today!
All the houseplants getting repotted/fertilized and showered

No comments:

Post a Comment