Friday, May 17, 2013

Recipe Friday: Marinade

It's grilling season!  I love grilling because I don't do it, it leaves very few dishes to wash and it doesn't heat up the kitchen like the oven or a boiling pot.  Did I mention I don't do it?  That's what I like best.  Evan loves marinated chicken breasts, but only in italian dressing.  When I ate meat, I LOVED this marinade that I got from The Bride and Groom Cookbook.  This one works for chicken and fish, but also veggies.  I recently had Evan grill some eggplant "steaks" which were just slices of eggplant (I made a note to take off the skin next time) and I really like kabobs.  They're really versatile and they're an easy way to adapt a meat dish to meatless with little hassle.  I'm sure the fact that I'm blogging about cooking over a fire has nothing to do with the fact that I just finished the first part, Fire,  of Michael Pollan's book, Cooked.  Don't be surprised if next week you get something Water.




Can't Do Without Marinade

1/4c olive oil
1/2c white wine
1/2 small yellow onion, quartered
3TBSP fresh rosemary leaves
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp salt

Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender.  Pour the marinade over the meat or veggies and marinate overnight, as directed by Evan.  Traditional directions say 1/2 hour is fine though.  Don't forget to soak your wooden skewers for half an hour if you're grilling kabobs.  Better yet, get some metal ones that can be reused.  They also make wonderful toys, as Ellie and Vince discovered yesterday.  Stay tuned for the blog post about how one of my kids lost an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment