Monday, August 26, 2013

Dragon fruit

I know I've been talking about Weelicious a lot, but this is only KIND of about that.  I follow Catherine McCord (the Weelicious lady) on Instagram and everyday she posts a picture of her kid's lunch.  A few weeks ago she had some dragon fruit in there and some people were commenting on it.  She, of course, got it at her farmer's market.  For some reason, the Canton farmer's market doesn't carry dragon fruit, and I just kind of wrote it off as an exotic California thing I'll probably never see.  Then I saw it at the Raisin Rack!  It was marked down, which leads me to believe that it didn't sell well and I probably won't find it there again, but I was so excited I bought it.  It wasn't until I got home that I realized I had just purchased a $5 piece of fruit that may not go over well and may go directly into the trash.
Dragon Fruit held by the Dragon Child
I had it for a few days before I was brave enough to cut the thing open and serve it for dinner.  I Googled how to cut it open and it was really a no-brainer.  You cut it in half and scoop our the flesh.  The weird thing was that on Instagram the fruit was pink and online it was white.  Luckily ours was pink too, which I thought would entice Ellie to try it.  It doesn't provide much fruit, but it gave each person a nice little taste.  
The fruit we got was kind of bland.  I don't know if that's just how dragon fruit tastes or if we just got a bland one, but it was almost entirely tasteless, except for the sweet flavor.  It had the consistency of kiwi and the seeds of kiwi, but it was neon pink.  Olivia LOVED it!  She ate all of hers and all of Ellie's, who was too whiny to really give it a chance. The boys tried it but didn't really care one way or the other for it.  Evan felt the same way.  I'd like to get it again and see if we could get a more flavorful piece.  Glad we tried it though!  Now we call all say we've had dragon fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment