Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mom Talk

I spend a lot of time with moms.  Almost all of my friends are moms.  I've noticed something about being a mom.  We talk about our kids.  A lot.  It's always weird for me when I find myself in a situation with strangers who aren't moms.  (Like the two weddings I went to last spring with Evan where I didn't know anyone.)  It's this odd sensation for me of not being what I am,
when I don't have my kids with me or I'm not doing a kid-related event (for example, tonight is Preschool Orientation.  I will not have any of my kids with me, but I'll be doing mom-stuff.)  I have other interests.  I can talk about other things, but being a mom is so much a part of who I am anymore, it's unsettling to me when I'm not "being a mom", even just for one night.  I guess that's a sign I love my mom-job, which I guess is good.  I DO love being a mom.   When  I look back at my choices in life and college and a career (short-lived as it was) being is mom is really all I ever wanted to be.  I went into education to work with kids and prepare for a schedule that would work well when I had kids of my own.  But anyway, this post isn't really about that.  It's just a basic update on each of my kids.  Because I can't really think of anything super green to blog about today, I want to blog everyday, and there are a few things I've blogged about in the past that I wanted to post updates about.  I'm a mom.  I talk about my kids.  A lot.

Caden: I blogged about his meds a lot.  Last night he had a TON of homework (welcome to the 3/4 blend!) in math, but his sat down, did it all, neatly, and didn't complain.  I checked it, circled the wrong ones and he fixed them.  It was so nice to work WITH him instead of fighting against him.  I LOVED seeing how his mind worked to figure out the problems and I told him how proud of him I was for doing such a great job not only on the work, but with the whole homework process.  The brains are all him, but the focusing is all the pill.  I'm so glad I decided to do it. I don't regret it at all.  He's doing SO well on this medication and I don't have to fight the inattentiveness to get to know what he's thinking and how he's doing.  It's given me Caden, not taken him from me like I feared it might.

Ellie: When Ellie was a little over a year she went into the bathroom, shut the door and opened the HUGE drawer right behind it, thus barricading herself in the bathroom.  I called Evan, made him come home from work, called my dad, he sent someone over from the office to help get her out.  We ended up prying the frame off the door to get to the hinges to free her.  She, meanwhile, played with some bars of soap, realized it was naptime and and fell asleep on the bathroom rug.  She was stuck in there for about 2 hours.

Vince:  First, did I tell you about Buttdinner?  The other night Caden's meds were wearing off and he was having a tough time sitting down to eat dinner.  He was bouncing around, messing with the other kids, doing everything but dinner.  Which is what Evan said.  Vince thoroughly enjoyed Daddy saying Butt Dinner!.  The other night we made nachos for dinner.  Evan finished his plate and announce that he was going back into the kitchen to put more on his plate.  Vince announced, "Daddy said moron!"  I'm excited for him to start school in a few weeks.  I think he's really going to enjoy it and I'm feeling good about the decision to put him in the 4s an not the 3s.

Olivia: Is quickly becoming a toddler.  She's entirely quite crawling and toddles around all the time.  I'm  please to report that the cry it out experiment is going SUPER well.  At naps and at bedtime she frequently goes right to sleep without a sound.  Still getting up constantly at night, but baby steps, right? Also, last night.  She did the EXACT SAME THING as Ellie did with the bathroom door!!!  This time we have double hung windows so we were able to pop out the screen and slide up the window and put Ellie through to save her sister.  Ellie was really proud to be able to help and she picked up a crying Olivia with a big smile on her face.  It was really a sweet scene to watch, even though I was standing in on a ladder above my hosta watching through the window.  With her new haircut, Ellie looks so much older and seeing her in there with Oliva made me remember her at that age and how much she's grown up.  Bitter sweet.

I'd give you an update about Jack, but I think I'll stop here.  It's bad enough yammering on about your kids.  Talking incessantly about your pets is even worse.  But I'll post a picture of him just because who doesn't love a puppy picture. (People who don't have to hid the toilet paper and wear shoes that are chewed and clean up poop from the basement at least once a day.)

First day of school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment