Friday, August 9, 2013

Recipe Friday: "Meatball" Subs

Last week we had "meatball" and meatball subs for dinner.  I've done this before, buying pre made meatballs and meatless balls, but this time I made both from scratch.  I hear the meatballs were good and I can attest that the meatless balls were good.  I froze the leftovers and will toss them in with the sauce next time we have pasta.  The meatballs were a Turkey Pesto recipe from Weelicious.  The recipe calls for traditional basil pesto, but I had some of that sun-dried tomato pesto left from when we did our pasta bar last week so I
just used that.  Here's the link to the recipe.  

As for the Meatless meatballs, I used a Millet Loaf recipe from the Forks over Knives cookbook.  Instead of making a loaf, I just used a cookie scoop to make them into balls.  I thought they were very good and even had a little "meat" flavor to them (which I think was the thyme.)  Of course it's been 4 years since I've had meat so I'm probably not the best judge of what tastes like meat!  I liked their consistency for Olivia too.  I might make them again, using less seasoning and making smaller balls for her.  Great quick lunch to grab out of the freezer when I'm in a rush...when am I NOT?!

Millet Loaf/Balls


2 1/2 C vegetable broth or water
3/4 C millet
1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced small
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBSP sage
1 TBSP thyme
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 TBSP mellow white miso, dissolved in 1/4 C hot water
1/4 C nutritional yeast
1/4 to 3/4 C tomato sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2,  Place the broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.  Add the millet and bring the mixture back to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until the millet is tender.
3. Place the onion in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 7-8 minutes.  add water 1 to 2 TBSP at a time to keep the onion from sticking o the pan.  Add the garlic, sage, thyme, nutmeg, and black pepper and cook for another minute.  Add the miso, nutritional yeast and 1/4 C tomato sauce and mix well.  Ad the millet, season with salt and mix well.
4.  Either shape into a nonstick loaf pan or shape into balls and place on a nonstick baking sheet.  Top the loaf with additional tomato sauce or ketchup and bake for 30 minutes (let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing.) If you're making them into balls, bake for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment