Friday, August 30, 2013

Recipe Friday: Rice "Pudding"

A few weeks ago I started a challenge to try to get myself to eat a more plant-based diet.  I started making a pot of rice and keeping it in the refrigerator so it was readily available for me to eat.  I did pretty well for a few weeks.  It was really convenient for Olivia since she eats such a small portion that it's not practical to make her a serving at each meal.  She loves rice and I'm glad she's eating it, but it's SO messy!  She gets it everywhere!  I've tried to roll it into balls (using a short grained rice) but she just crumbles them when she picks it up.  So for lunch the other day I thought about making a congee for her.  I added some rice milk to a few tablespoons of rice and put it in the microwave.  It didn't thicken like I had hoped
(I didn't give it the time it needed) but when I took it out, the smell was familiar--rice pudding, my favorite food!  So I added a little cinnamon, let it cool and crossed my fingers that she'd let me feed her.  She wasn't a fan, but I was.  I added milk to the rest of the rice warmed it and added some cinnamon.  Vince was also a fan, and as soon as it was coming out of MY bowl instead of hers, Olivia was asking for more (pointing and raising her eyebrows).  Super easy, fast and vegan (when made with the rice milk).  A great way to get the rice that I've been struggling with!  My favorite food without the sugar and fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment