Friday, September 16, 2011

Autumn

This entry is a little early, but the weather is so cool I just couldn't resist! I know that the first day of Autumn is actually NEXT Friday, but since we're starting our fall celebration early I though you wouldn't mind if I started writing about fall stuff now, since there's going to be a lot. Last weekend we went to Yankee Peddler, which for those of you how haven't had the pleasure, is a colonial-themed out-door craft show. My mom and I took the two younger kids and had a great time! I had planned to write a whole blog on the greenness of colonial living, but that seemed even a little boring for me, so suffice it to say walking around in the woods made me think about TRULY living with no carbon footprint!

This weekend (new paragraph as requested, Mr Grammar) we're going to take the kids to the apple orchard. I've done this for the past 3 years. The first two we drove to Kent and walked around the orchard and did the corn maze, but last year we found one that's not far at all PLUS you can pick your own apples! I was SO excited to take the kids! My oldest FINALLY got to climb trees, since the apple trees are MUCH better suited for climbing than the willow or the oak in our yard. We ate apples and made pie and applesauce that we had actually picked! It was a great experience for my kids to get out in nature and see where food really comes from (Ohio Department of Education Academic Content Standard Benchmark Indicator for first grade science!) Plus it was FUN! This is my planned September outing. Once October starts we begin with the pumpkin patch and Halloween extravaganza, so the apple orchard visit is always a great beginning to the fall season!

No comments:

Post a Comment