Friday, September 9, 2011

Happy Birthday Brodie!


Ten years ago today a little black and tan puppy was rescued from the Franklin County Animal Shelter. (He's the one on the left!) Although this may not seem to be a "green" topic, I think it is. He's a recycled dog. For whatever reason he wasn't wanted by his first owners, he was recycled at the animal shelter and now he's living here with us, clearly a rather pampered life! I've never had a pure-bred dog, although I've always said I wanted one. I LOVE to watch dog shows and I have a bizzarre amount of dog breed knowledge as a result of this (did you know that Irish Wolfhound is actually the largest dog breed or that the Dandy Dinmont Terrier us the only dog named after a cartoon character?) I know that in theory when you get a purebred dog you know what you're getting in that dogs are bred for certain dispositions and physical traits, but I don't think that's a reason NOT to adopt a shelter dog. In fact according to the aspca website "Twenty-five percent of dogs who enter local shelters are purebred. (Source: NCPPSP)" From the above picture you can tell there is definitely a theme to our dogs. We have defied the Black Dog Syndrome! Black dogs are less likely to be adopted than a dog of any other color. The statistics for any dog that makes it way to a shelter:

15% of dogs are fortunate to be reunited with their owners.

Nearly 60% of dogs that enter shelters are euthanized.

Only 25% of dogs entering a shelter are lucky enough to be adopted.

15% is pretty low! I think for Brodie's birthday present he'll be getting a microchip!

No comments:

Post a Comment