Friday, September 2, 2011

Updates

I'm following up on the post I did about my massive plant purchase. I haven't killed a single one! They're all doing well, except one, which I think is cat-related, rather than my fault. I'm not needing to water them very often which I think is due to the increased humidity from having so many plants. I wish I had a way to monitor and record the purity of the air in my house so I could tell if that was making a difference too. So good news on the indoor plants!

As for the outdoor plants, aka, the garden, we're so-so. I really should have listened when everyone said not to plant pumpkins. They've overrun the garden and are creeping into the yard and the patio. We do have a lot of pumpkins already though and they're pie pumkins so we'll be able to eat them. The chard is shot, it's been choked out by the pumpkins and eaten by bugs and the green beans are past their time, I think. Again, pumpkins are taking over. I'm still waiting on the beets. I dug up a few the other day and they were pretty small, but tasted good! I left my peppers on the plants so they'll turn red. One did, we shared it. I thought it tasted like dirt, which I remember from our CSA produce last year. It's funny how far removed we've become from our food that something so fresh tastes bad to me. I guess "funny" isn't the right word.

We did better in the shower this AM. My daughter asked if she could stay in and play and I said "no". So that was good, but my oldest had to shower twice (his hair was crunchy and smelled like bar soap...I don't know what was going on in there!) so that wasn't so good. But at least I'm making an good faith effort. That's the best I can do, right?

I'm tanking on the eating whole foods thing. I'm slightly overwhelmed right now in my personal life and I'm fell like it's all I can do to keep my head above water, let alone really cook for myself three meals a day. Maybe once things settle down...so 2030?

We're still cloth diapering (but at this point it's really NOT good news that I'm still diapering at all!) eating mostly organic foods, supporting locally grown produce, and still questing, questing, questing, never resting! (Backyardigans: It's been years since you've been on my TV, why are you still in my head?!?!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment