Monday, September 19, 2011

Forks Over Knives...AGAIN!

I know it looks like I'm milking this movie for as many blog topics as I can, but this post is actually REALLY relevant! I watched FOK this weekend (streaming on Net Flix). It's was very interesting (WAY better than Your Highness, but that was to be expected!). It's not a gross-out movie, like Food Inc. was. It doesn't really SCARE you into being vegan (there aren't any factory farm clips) but it presents it scientifically. They discuss multiple studies that show cultures who eat meat vs cultures that are plant based and the incidence of cancer and type II diabetes are almost non-existent. They follow a few people and do before and after tests and you'll never guess which way THAT goes. It was a very convincing argument for eating a plant-based diet. However, it is also a whole food diet. They are not advocating eating "fake" meats and soy cheese. It's about eating fruits and veggies, beans and rice. I'm sure you'll be shocked by this, but I was thinking, "I should try this" as I watched the movie. My husband wasn't watching it at the beginning (he was watching the making of the Star Wars movies on the iPad, also interesting) but his Star Wars thing ended before FOK so he watched the last few minutes with me. Are you sitting down? HE said, "That might be interesting to try for a week." No, that's right! He actually said it! I had been thinking a month since I didn't think you'd be able to feel the results in just a week. So we're going to do it. He wants to wait until after football season, then after the holidays...maybe in January?...I'm pushing ahead. If we're going to do this we need to start BEFORE the holidays. But then I started thinking about it logistically. Can we REALLY just drastically change our family's diet like that? I could, but I don't think it would go over well. So I've decided instead of the try-it-for-a-month approach, I'm going to wean us off animal products (I'll still make meat for my husband in the mean time, he didn't OK going vegan, just trying it for a set amt of time). So what's going to be the easiest to get rid of first? Eggs? Milk? Cheese? I'm thinking cheese. I know that the FOK website was going to have recipes, so I'll have to check that out. I'll also have to start looking for more traditional vegan recipes. I need to get my family used to eating lots of rice and beans before we jump into this. Not hard for my little guy, but my older two might be a little more of a challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment