Tuesday, September 27, 2011

MSG

I made it! Even though there's only a few hours left in today, I'm squeezing my post in under the wire! I had a CRAZY day today and an almost as crazy day tomorrow. Today and tomorrow my daughter's preschool (and my school) is having our yearly Project Preparation Workshop in which parents help prepare crafts for the entire school for the whole year. Teachers don't usually help with this, it's all parents, but since I volunteered to be VP of the board BEFORE I took the teacher job, I'm in charge of this. So my kids played around in the "Running Room" for 3 hours today until Meema came to save them and I had to teach my class in the afternoon. Tomorrow Nana's up to bat and will be watching the kids. (Stay with me, this is relevant to MSG!). We were discussing lunch options and my mom suggested Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup. No meat, veggies, what could be bad? First of all, there's HFCS in it. Second, it contains MSG. I'm not really sure where I first heard about MSG. I think it was Jillian Michel's book. MSG is short for Monosodium Glutamate. It's an additive often found in Asian food (you've seen "No MSG" on Chinese Take -Out menu's right?" ) It causes weight gain and obesity by damaging the appetite regulation center of the brain. When you eat MSG you're brain isn't able to send the message that you're full--leaving you with an urge to eat that never stops. MSG is found in most common processed foods. The ingredient list will show either MSG, or Monosodium Glutamate or flavor enhancers or sometimes even natural flavors. Yet another reason to eat fresh and organic foods! It's frustrating to see how food I THOUGHT was good (veggies soup--it was Campbells! I thought that was a brand I could trust!) is actually working against me! The good news is that Amy's makes a Alphabet Veggie soup that tastes similar to Campbells, minus the HFCS and the MSG.

No comments:

Post a Comment