Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cold and Flu Season

At our house Christmas always seems to come with illness. This year, my youngest gave me puke as a gift...twice. So when I saw the Kiwi Magazine online article about easing cold and flu symptoms, I thought I'd give it a quick read. I expected it to be the same old stuff, honey for coughs, saline for stuffy noses, but I came across something that I've never heard of before and I was intrigued to try it. Here's what it said, "Wet sock treatment: If a wet blanket can bring a party to a halt, a wet sock could do the same for a cold. “It works really well with kids with a lot of intense congestion in the head and nose,” says Baral, by bringing blood flow to the feet and decreasing some of the pressure in the head. Run a pair of cotton socks under cold water and squeeze them out. At bedtime, put them on your child, followed by a pair of dry wool socks. By morning, the socks should be warm, head congestion eased, and the fever will often be broken. “All of my patients tell me it’s a really powerful treatment,” says Baral. Children tend to like it, too. “It seems to have quite a sedating action and helps them sleep a little bit better,” Baral says."

Crazy, right? I'm going to buy wool socks for my kids so I can try this when they get sick. I had a hard time finding 100% wool socks for kids but I did find some here...too bad they're $20 each! Guess I'll have to pick which kid I like best when it's time for this remedy...don't get sick all at once kids!

I also found this on youtube so it's not TOTALLY nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment