Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Petit Papa Noel

I really don't care for Raffi. I'm not sure what it is about his music, but I'm not a big fan. My little brother used to listen to it all the time, maybe I got burnt out. The teacher that teaches in the morning at my school always listens to Raffi and it's in the CD player when I get to work in the afternoon. So, even though I'm not a fan, I still listen. I mentioned to her that her love of Raffi was the one downfall to following her in class, and she told me a story about Raffi's Christmas CD that has made me pop in the Raffi CD every day that I teach now.

It's was kind of a silly thing, really, just that the Petit Papa Noel song was playing in the car on their way home from her in-laws on Christmas Eve. She looked in the rearview mirror at her girls (years younger than they are now) all dressed up in their Christmas dresses and she thought how perfect a Christmas Eve is was and now the song always makes her think about her girls, at that age, in that moment.

Even though it's not MY Christmas memory, it still makes me think about my kids, right now, this Christmas. How my daughter can't wait for it to snow, and was ECSTATIC about decorating the tree (and candy canes) and how my oldest love to do his advent calendar and my youngest is still so clueless about the whole thing. I don't know how many more Christmases Santa has at our house and that makes me a little sad. I'm just going to do what my teacher friend did and try to remember them right now, because soon, Christmas won't be so magical to them.

Which I guess isn't really that much about being green as it is about being a family, and remembering how important family memories can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment